V predošlom článku sme si hovorili aj o tom, ako sa môže zmeniť význam podľa toho, či je free pred alebo za podstatným menom.
Dnes sa pozrieme na 5 významov tohto pekného slova.
1) Not busy – nebyť zaneprázdnený
> without particular plans or arrangements (bez planov, stretnutí)
- Are you free on Sunday? We’re having a party.
- I try to keep weekends free.
- If you are free for lunch, I’ll take you out.
- Keep next Saturday free for our trip.
- What do you like to do in your free time (= when you are not working)?
- Let’s meet this Friday. What time are you free?
- Are you free for dinner on Wedesday?
- Are you free on 15th July? We’re having a garden party.
2) No payment – bez platby
> costing nothing
- Admission is free.
- I have free tickets to the theatre.
- In that e-shop they”ll give you a free gift with each book you buy.
- Use of the fitness is free for members.
- The performance is free for children under twelve.
- Entrance is free for kids and students.
- Education should be free for everyone.
- Shipping is free for orders over 60€.
- Subscribe to our free email newsletter.
- Parking is free after 6 p. m..
- We’re giving away 100 free sampless of our new face cream.
- Our events are free but you have to reserve a place.
- This cd comes free with the magazine.
- The e-book is available as a free download.
3) not being used – nepoužíva sa
- Is this seat free?
- The hospital needs to keep some beds free for emergencies.
- He has the phone on the left to keep his right hand free for writing.
- There were no free tables in the restaurant, so we had to share.
- Is the bathroom free?
4) not under the control – nie pod kontrolou
> not in the power of somebody else; able to do what you want
- Students have a free choice of modules in this course.
- You are free to leave at any time.
- We want an independent state free of foreign interference.
- I have no ambitions other than to have a happy life and be free.
- After her divorce she felt free.
- Guests of our hotel are free to wander around the park.
- I try to make my own decisions, free of any outside influences.
- Here you are free to express your opinion.
5) not limited – neobmedzovaný
- A true people-oriented system needs free speech and a free press.
- In a free country you should be able to go wherever you want.
- They want the free movement of goods and capital.
- We want to be a free nation.
- We tried to create an open and free atmosphere in our school.
Nabudúce o frázach s free.